The applicant's undergraduate degree program should be in piano performance (or the equivalent). In addition to meeting the general requirements for admission to the music school, a student who wishes to major in vocal accompanying must pass an audition before the piano faculty. This will include solo literature and vocal repertoire, and sight reading. All entering graduate students in the Master of Music degree program in vocal accompanying must take the Music Theory Placement Examination and the Music History Placement Examination.
- One chamber music recital (MUS 942) and three piano-vocal programs (MUS 942A x3) are required.
- Passing satisfactorily a language examination in two languages (French, German or Italian, no substitutions) is also required.
Minor in Latin American Music
Requirements listed above apply, with the following exceptions:
- Among the core courses, six semester hours of Latin American music electives replace Music in the Classical Period and Music in the Romantic Period.
- Among the core electives, electives in Latin American music may be included as appropriate and as approved by the adviser.
- A significant portion of the student's performance repertoire for juries and recitals must consist of music by Latin American composers.