We are a thriving program in which students enthusiastically embrace the discipline and joyous work of bringing great music to life, while developing their technical skill and musical imagination.
Explore the varied aspects of our work here at Catholic University.
Attention Masters in Music interested in registering for:
MM Chamber Performance (MUS 944a)
- It is not a recital
- It is one chamber piece (chosen in conjunction with your studio teacher)
- book a performance day/time (Ward, or any other space)
- book a hearing with Orchestral Instruments Area Head, at least 2 weeks before performance
Orchestra Auditions Fall 2021
- Auditions will be held in person on Tuesday, August 31st in Room 133, Ward Hall. Please sign up for an audition time here. Excerpts are listed below.
- If you are unable to attend an audition in person on Tuesday, August 31st, please contact the orchestra manager, Rebekah O'Brien: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harp players should send a video with a solo of their choice no longer than 6 minutes. Video should be sent by Monday, August 30th to Maestro Tartaglione (email@example.com).
- Percussionists should schedule an audition time with Maestro Tartaglione (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please choose an excerpt for all of the following (your choice):
- Snare Drum Etude
- Mallet solo
- Timpani Etude
- If you have any question please feel free to email the orchestra manager, Rebekah O'Brien at: email@example.com. Questions may also be directed to Maestro Tartaglione: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please practice only the music in brackets. You are free to play one solo if you would like. You will choose one excerpt to start and the others will be chosen for you, but not all may be played at the audition. Non-Music Majors: Number of excerpts could be reduced upon maestro's approval if list of excerpts exceeds your preparation time/level. Please contact him directly.
- Oboe/English Horn
- Trombone/Bass Trombone
The Orchestral Instruments and Conducting Academic Area is made up of approximately 25 undergraduates and 45 graduate students. The richness of playing across all instruments is displayed in our ensembles: the CUA Symphony Orchestra and Wind Ensemble.Learn More
The CUA Symphony Orchestra performs major orchestral works regularly throughout the year. The Orchestra also serves as the ensemble for CUA Opera Theatre, and is featured in the Annual Christmas Concert for Charity.Learn More
The Robert Ricks Memorial Scholarship Fund
Robert Ricks Memorial Scholarship Fund, designed to support graduate students in orchestral instruments. Contributions from alumni & friends wishing to donate to this fund may be sent to the Departments of Music.Learn More