Graduate Audition Requirements

Master of Music degree programs
Applicants for M.M. degree programs in performance must present a 10-minute audition of three pieces in contrasting style, either in person or by video link.

Doctor of Musical Arts degree programs
Applicants for the D.M.A. degree programs must present a 15-minute audition of three contrasting pieces of standard classical repertoire. This audition may be in person or by video link.

Graduate Programs in Orchestral Conducting
All prospective orchestral candidates must send a video link with the candidate conducting, preferably facing the camera, for pre-screening before submitting an application to the University or to the Departments of Music. Selected candidates will then be invited to campus for the live audition. Please do not submit an application form or fee unless your video link has been accepted. Any questions should be directed to Maestro Simeone Tartaglione and Professor Murry Sidlin

REPERTOIRE: Please contact Maestro Simeone Tartaglione

All applicants, regardless of degree program, who audition in person are considered for performance-based music scholarship.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are there many performance opportunities for students?
Students are provided with multiple performance opportunities throughout the D.C. metro area. On campus, students perform in several concerts during the school year using facilities such as Hartke Theatre, Ward Recital Hall, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, and the Edward J. Pryzbyla University Center. Additionally, there are ample opportunities for students to perform solo and chamber music both on and off campus. Students are also able to perform with various opera, musical theatre, and new work ensembles. Student musicians may choose to collaborate with composition students to play, perform, premiere, and possibly even record their work. Each fall semester a selected group of students is given the opportunity to perform at Carnegie Hall’s Weill Hall during a three-day concert series given by University faculty, staff and students.

Where do students keep their instruments?
Students can store their instruments in lockers in Ward, where they are safe and accessible. Lockers are available to rent for the entire school year.

Is it possible to do a double major in Music Performance and Music Education?
It is possible to double major in Music Education and Music Performance, but it will take an extra semester to graduate. Students interested in this dual-degree option should enter as music education majors and declare the dual-degree upon completion of freshman year. 

How are students matched with private teachers?
During the audition process, members of our instrumental faculty assess each student’s ability and level of development. With this information, students are placed in the studio most suitable for their development. Requests for specific teachers are considered.